University of Calgary Continuing Education is a recognized provider of risk management courses for the Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. which are eligible for the Canadian Risk Management (CRM) designation. The CRM is a national designation that is recognized by the Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. and awarded by the Global Risk Management Institute (GRMI). To obtain a CRM designation, students must complete three risk management courses available at University of Calgary Continuing Education:
- BMC 327 Risk Management Principles and Practices
- BMC 326 Risk Assessment and Treatment
- BMC 182 Risk Financing
Program and Process Changes
- Process A expires December 31, 2016, so all CRM candidates are required to pass the three CRM standardized exams to qualify for the CRM designation.
- The CRM exam fee is changing from $125 (CAN) to $130 (USD) to align with the Prometric Testing Center fees. Candidates will access an online portal, select one of the three standardized exams, and pay the fee by credit card instead of submitting a cheque by mail.
Exam date changes within the same testing window will need to be completed online with Prometric:
- $130 (USD) exam fee will be forfeited if candidate is a no-show, cancels or reschedules an exam less than 3 business days in advance of the scheduled test date.
- $130 (USD) exam fee will be refunded if candidate cancels 13 or more business days before the scheduled test date.
- A fee of $50 (USD) will be charged if the candidate changes the testing window. All testing window changes need to be submitted to GRMI@RIMS.org.
- Candidates are no longer required to notify GRMI when they register for a CRM course.
- After completing the three courses and passing the exams, the candidate needs to submit a transcript to GRMI to be awarded the CRM designation.
About the CRM Designation
The Canadian Risk Management (CRM) designation is a widely recognized qualification that provides risk managers a foundation of knowledge and skills needed to identify, assess, monitor and limit risks. The CRM is recognized by the Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS) and awarded by the Global Risk Management Institute (GRMI). GRMI sets policy for the CRM designation and maintains the records of its credentialed members. Attaining the CRM designation demonstrates a level of professional commitment, knowledge and skills that employers in both public and private sectors recognize.
Why earn the CRM Designation?
- Competitiveness: Formal training gives CRM holders a competitive advantage that employers seek.
- Credentials: Demonstrates that CRM holders have achieved the knowledge and skills necessary to identify, assess, monitor and limit risks.
- Recognition: CRM holders stand out among others in a competitive marketplace.
- Advancement: Improves the ability of CRM holders to achieve their organization's risk management objectives and their career goals.
To earn the CRM designation, candidates must complete the three foundational courses and pass standardized exams for each course (standardized exams are in addition to any exams administered by the university or institution as part of their course curriculum). The exams evaluate level of knowledge based on the content covered in the required textbooks. The three standardized CRM exams administered separately by GRMI verify that CRM candidates possess a consistent level of knowledge. The exams will be available at Prometric Testing Centers during four testing windows each year:
- January 15 – March 15
- April 15 – June 15
- July 15 – September 15
- October 15 – December 15
Each of the two-hour CRM standardized exams include multiple choice questions, and 70% is considered a passing score. Once the student completes the exam, a pass/fail message will appear.
Register with GRMI, Access Prometric Testing Center Site, and Select an Exam Date
- Create an online profile with RIMS
- Enrol in each course at a university or institution that offers the required CRM courses listed below:
NOTE: The CRM course tuition charges vary from one institution to another, and are not paid to the Global Risk Management Institute (GRMI).
- Access CRM registration page (a link will be included on the updated CRM page later this year), select an exam, and pay the $130 (USD) testing and processing fee by credit card.
- GRMI will issue Prometric testing center location options and access instructions via email.
- Candidate enters the access code sent by email from GRMI into the Prometric site, selects an exam date, time, and location.
Candidate needs to carefully review the information contained in the Prometric Confirmation Notice. If any of the information is incorrect or if the information has changed, they need to contact GRMI at: GRMI@RIMS.org. Testing center schedule changes need to be completed on the Prometric site.
NOTE: Please allow two weeks to receive the Prometric access code.
- Once the candidate receives a passing score of 70% on all three exams, they need to mail a transcript grade report from the university or institution to GRMI at 5 Bryant Park, 13th Floor, New York, NY, 10018, USA.
- GRMI will issue a CRM designation completion certificate within four weeks.
Maintaining Continued Standing
Once the CRM designation is granted, CRM holders must maintain their credentialed membership with the Global Risk Management Institute, Inc. (GRMI) by paying a U.S. $50 annual renewal fee. CRM holders will receive an electronic invoice from GRMI annually. If an active CRM designation holder attends a RIMS Workshop to expand their knowledge, they may request a U.S. $100 rebate after completing a workshop.