This global organization was experiencing the effects of external changes to their industry and wanted to ensure their front line leaders had the skills and knowledge to motive their employees and guide them through these changes with resilience and confidence.
Additionally, with several supervisors and managers new to their roles it was important to ensure these new leaders had the fundamental leadership skills necessary to effectively manage their teams.
We began by performing a gap analysis to verify the leadership skills the client had identified were either missing or needed sharpening. We matched the missing skills with a seminar topic area and instructor to address the gaps.
The outcome was a cohort-based, multi-day leadership development program focused on six leadership topics.
Unique factors for this client
- Participants completed an emotional intelligence assessment tool prior to program delivery, which formed the basis for the instructor's approach to teaching and learning
- Client held a kick-off event for the participants
Delivery and implementation
A kick-off event was held at the University of Calgary Downtown Campus where the program was introduced to the participants as well as the facilitators. The assessment tool was also debriefed and participants networked and connected with each other.
The program was delivered in-class at the Downtown Campus.
Participants were expected to have regular check-ins with their leaders to discuss program topics and how the tools and skills were being applied at work.
Three courses focused on The Leadership Challenge were delivered over three days followed by a two-month break to apply the new learning. After the break we delivered the remaining three courses focused on leading effectively.
We worked with the client to identify a program evaluation approach and to acquire data on the impact of the program. Some of the metrics were used to track participant satisfaction and the use of their newly acquired skills.
- Administered assessment tool and facilitated debrief of results
- Developed and conducted program evaluation and analysis
- Prepared final report on program results for client
- Prepared and printed certificates of completion
- Planned and coordinated kick-off event
For the client's organization:
- Cohort approach worked well to help measure results of program
- Having the participants regularly check in with their supervisors helped the client to measure the participants successes and the overall program success
- Regular check ins also created an opportunity to discuss the new learning and how it could be applied in the participant's daily work and created accountability
For the participants:
- Front line managers acquired enhanced leadership competencies in leading self and leading change
- This included practical tools and templates to lead employees and cascade strategic goals as projects
- The break between modules was a welcome way to absorb the new learning and practise new skills
- Having regularly scheduled check ins with supervisors helped participants establish how they were going to implement their new knowledge and skills and create accountability
- Alberta Energy Regulator
- Alberta Health Services
- Alberta Ministry of Education
- Alberta Municipal Health and Safety Association (AMHSA)
- Alberta Utilities Commission
- Calgary Police Service
- Canadian Society of Safety Engineering (CSSE)
- City of Airdrie
- Rocky View County
- SMART Technologies
- The Calgary Foundation
- The City of Calgary
- The Toronto Centre
Why Work With Us?
Exceptional quality.We take pride in our ability to approach a client's challenge and deliver solutions tailored to meet our clients' need.
Use teaching and learning technology and best practices.Our solutions include the use of an online learning management system a web-based platform that store and share learning resources, this can be accessed from anywhere — via any device. In addition, we use the latest best practices in adult continuing education.
Industry experts.We hire experts in their fields. This translates into industry professionals sharing their knowledge and experience to contribute to our clients' success.
Unparalleled customer service.We listen and we deliver. Our Corporate Training team provides personalized attention, continuous communication, immediate action, and follow-through.
Ready to see how we can help you meet your organization's challenges?
Explore more of our case studies
A self-serve front line leader program
The client wanted to provide its new to experienced leaders with a self-service model to support their unique needs and current issues, ensuring the quality of the learning was consistent across course offerings.
Establishing leadership competencies across global locations
The main goal for this client was to improve key supervisory competencies across all frontline managers and supervisors.
Preparing front line leaders to manage change across the organization
The client's goal was to ensure new leaders all had the fundamental leadership skills necessary to effectively manage their teams.
Building social and emotional capacity of front line leaders
The main goal for this organization was to provide fundamental leadership skills to high performing individual contributors identified as having leadership potential within the organization.