The award has been established with yearly funding from the Esmail Safana Farzana Fayaz Bharwani Foundation, a private foundation established by the family of Esmail and Safana Bharwani to encourage and recognize adults who are pursuing their studies in Continuing Education.
Esmail Bharwani is continuing his efforts to provide financial support to those who are interested in furthering their professional education. Esmail values those who aspire to be better professionals, learn the art of management, give back to their community and who pursue their dreams with dedicated efforts. Esmail Bharwani instructed for Continuing Education from 1980–2000 and has taught over 5,000 students through the department.
Number: Nine per year (if funds allow)
Application Deadline: May 1
The fund was established to provide assistance to adult learners who have chosen to pursue educational goals, often while maintaining a full-time career and family life commitments.
Each of the Esmail and Safana Bharwani Awards will be awarded a letter and announced during the Graduation Ceremony (if applicable) using the following sub-titles:
- Esmail and Safana Bharwani Award
- Farzana Bharwani-Kassam and Inayat Kassam Award
- Fayaz and Jabeen Bharwani Award
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Currently enrolled in any professional certificate or diploma program (100 hours or greater).
- Academic standing (grade of C or better) in a minimum of three certificate courses.
- Community involvement or employed with a not-for-profit organization.
- A resume is required (submission of references is optional).
There is a short answer question on the application form which must be answered in order to be eligible for this award.