The Professional Certificate for Emerging Leaders can help leaders at all experience levels deal with the constant changes in today's fast-paced workplace. The program focuses on developing skills in the areas of building relationships, coaching, communication, personal effectiveness, and professional skills.
The flexibility of this certificate makes it ideal for aspiring, new and developing leaders. Students are encouraged to build their own certificates by carefully selecting seminars that not only meet the requirements of the program, but at the same time meet their own career needs.
- Building Relationships
- Personal Effectiveness
- Professional Skills
This program is perfect if you...
- Work, or aspire to work, in a leadership position
- Want to develop the 'soft skills' that employers value
- Plan to move on to the Certificate for Front Line Leaders
- Enjoy full-day immersive seminars
What will I get?
Students who complete this program will receive a Professional Certificate.
In Class and Online
Seminars are typically offered over one, two, or three full days from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at the main or downtown campuses. Some seminars are offered online.
Online learning fits into busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom. Students have online access to instructors, fellow learners, and learning materials.
Before taking your first online course, we recommended taking our free course: Digital Skills for Learning Online
All Continuing Education programs are developed with part-time learners in mind. The Professional Certificate for Emerging Leaders is a 120-hour program.
The certificate requires a total of 120 hours including:
- At least 111 hours of seminars:
- A minimum of one seminar must be completed from each of the five topic areas
- Students must attain a "CR" graded for attendance in all seminar courses
- A 9-hour independent final assessment (reflective journal) based on the five topic areas. The final assessment is graded.
The length of time it takes to complete this program varies by student. Depending on the courses selected, you can complete the certificate in as little as 6 months. We strongly recommended that you complete this certificate within five years of the start date of your first seminar.
The approximate cost to complete the Professional Certificate for Emerging Leaders is $5,100 + GST (students take an average of 10 to 13 seminars).
This includes the $105 admission fee.
You do not require a degree or diploma to apply for admission to this program. You can take individual courses to start, and apply later.
The admission fee is $105.
To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Grade 12 diploma (recommended)
- Relevant work experience (recommended)
- If English is not your first language, you must meet the English language proficiency requirements
Programs change from time to time, so we recommend that you apply for admission as early as possible. Once admitted, your requirements to complete the program will not change – even if the program changes. You can be confident that completed and eligible courses will apply to your program.Apply for Admission
On completion of this program, you may wish to pursue studies in another.
Upon completing the Professional Certificate for Emerging Leaders, up to 70 hours of equivalent courses may be transferred towards certificates in Professional Management, or Human Resource Management. This includes 40 hours to replace the course Human Behaviour in Organizations, and up to 30 hours toward the electives requirement.
Up to 35 hours of equivalent courses may be transferred toward the Certificate for Front Line Leaders.
If you wish to pursue another program:
- Complete the Application for Admission for your next program
- Contact us to request transfer of the equivalent course credits
The transfer of course credits will not happen without your request.
Each year, scholarships and awards are given to deserving students not only for their academic achievement, but also for community involvement. Award sponsors include both corporate and private donors.
To apply, you must meet eligibility criteria and submission deadlines. Students in this program may be eligible for the following awards:
To graduate, students must satisfy all certificate requirements:
- Attain a "CR" in all seminars used to meet program requirements
- Attain minimum instruction hours to meet program requirements
- Successfully complete a Reflective Journal Summary for each of the topic areas
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
See Graduation for details.