Delivery Options: ONLINECourse Schedule
This certificate is for anyone interested in creating and growing a small business. The program examines three key areas: starting a business, managing the small business for growth, and marketing and sales for entrepreneurs. In addition, learn how to develop a complete business plan proposal, prepare for managing the challenges and transition of your small business, and expand customer relationships. You will also discover effective marketing and sales techniques that help facilitate small business growth.
This certificate is perfect if you:
- Are interested in starting your own business
- Would like to learn the basics of managing a small business
- Are thinking about effective marketing and sales techniques for a small business
- Would like to re-invent your career by starting a small business and becoming an entrepreneur
Courses are delivered online, allowing you to complete your program at a pace that fits your needs and schedule. You should plan on studying and working approximately six hours per week per course.
Online learning is an option that caters to busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the classroom. It relies on the Internet for access to materials, as well as interaction with instructors and fellow learners.
In most online courses, you will work within scheduled start- and end-dates and assignment timelines. Readings, assignments and contributions will be required on a weekly basis. Graded assignments, participation marks and exams contribute to your final letter-grade mark.
It is strongly recommended that you log into the University of Calgary's online learning software three to four times per week to keep pace with the class. In most cases, the times you choose to work will be entirely up to you. Some online courses may require you to meet online with your class at specific times.
All Continuing Education certificates have been developed with part-time learners in mind. The Small Business Management Basics for Entrepreneurs is a 60-hour program delivered entirely online.
All courses are offered once a year. Students should be able to complete this certificate within three semesters if they register in one course per semester.
A degree or diploma is not required to enrol in this program.
You must be a minimum of 18 years of age to be admitted. Successful completion of a Grade 12 diploma and relevant work experience are recommended. If English is not your first language, please review the English language proficiency requirements.
Students will be automatically admitted to the certificate when they register for the course BMC 370 Starting a Business (20 hours)
The approximate cost to complete this certificate is $1,485.
On completion of one certificate, you may wish to pursue studies in another.
On completion of this certificate, all 60 hours may be transferred towards:
- Certificate in Professional Management: Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management: Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Risk Management: Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Strategic Management: Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management – Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (PEG): Optional Courses
Upon completion of BMC 373 Marketing and Sales for Entrepreneurs, you can transfer 20 hours towards:
- Certificate in Integrated Digital Media: Optional Courses
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled, and to apply to graduate.
View our Graduation page for details.