In the 21st century, organizations and workplaces experience constant change. Changes in leadership, organizational structure, operational systems and business culture impact business outcomes and the individuals involved. In this introduction to change theory, the underlying human behaviour elements and organizational processes will be integral as the focus is on the people impacted by change and those leading and managing it. Learn organizational change strategies through different lenses and frameworks, and examine interventions and tools to plan and manage the change process. Learn technique and tactics to facilitate change within an organization, through engaged processes.
Note: Formerly BMC 324 Change Management. Students who completed BMC 324 are exempt from taking BMC 358 Change Management Theory and Application.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize theories and types of change
- Evaluate alignment of an organization’s change plan to its business strategy
- Identify roles and responsibilities of individuals and teams, and organization’s approach to change management
- Implement a project management approach to change management process
- Discuss your organizations’ approach to change and produce an outline plan for your identified change project.
NotesIt is strongly recommended that students registered in the Change Management Certificate complete BMC 358 Change Management Theory and Application prior to enrolling in other Change Management Certificate program courses, e.g. BMC 359 Change Strategy and Planning, BMC 360 Managing Change Implementation, and BMC 361 Evaluating and Sustaining Change. For non-certificate students, some previous workplace experience is recommended.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Adult and Community Education : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Career and Academic Advising : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in e-Learning : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Workplace Learning : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Change Management : Core Courses
- Human Resource Management Certificate : Optional Courses
- Occupational Health and Safety Diploma : Core Courses
- Project Management Fundamentals Certificate : Optional Courses