Offered in cooperation with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Through listening, lecture, discussion, guest musicians and attendance at select CPO concerts, examine the making and development of classical music with the aim of deepening your understanding and appreciation of this music genre. Orchestral masterpieces studied may include the works of Barber, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Strauss, Mahler, Prokofiev, Handel and Bach.
Through four preview sessions, the course offers a layman's introduction to four concerts and attendance at those concerts. Course fee includes the price of concert tickets, orchestra seating. CPO season ticket holders please call to register at a reduced rate. Concert dates: Check section for details
Symphony season ticket holders can register at a reduced rate. Please phone 403-220-2866 for information.
Performance ticket price for registered students is $140 ($35/ticket)
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Identify the musical families in the orchestra and the historical periods of classical music
- Define the basics of the operations of a modern symphony orchestra
- Describe biographical and historical information about the composers and classical repertoire performed by the CPO
- Develop a vocabulary of musical terms
- Identify musicians from the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and describe their professional experiences
- Appreciate the behind-the-scenes stage and backstage area at Jack Singer Concert Hall
Special 60 + years of age and older discount does not apply to this course as it is not a 20 hour course.